Equine artificial vagina
The semen for Artificial Insemination (AI) is collected from the stallion when on a dummy mare by way of an artificial vagina. Immediately after collection, the semen is inseminated into the mare (fresh AI) or processed for subsequent use: refrigerated (refrigerated AI) or frozen (frozen AI).
· The idea is to improve a mare’s fertility through a better command of her reproduction cycle.
· It prevents contamination of the stallion via such venereal diseases as Contagious Equine Metritis.
· It enables to avoid accidents at the time of coverings (kicking, biting, bruising and perforation of the vagina).
· It also enables to inseminate several mares with a single semen collection.
· In addition, it enables mares stationed far away from the stallion to be inseminated, thereby increasing the choice of available stallions.